Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sour Grapes

Yesterday I had lunch with a woman who founded a rug weaving business for impoverished Afghani women, incorporating a literacy program, healthcare, schooling for their children. My girlfriend Lynn leaves at the end of the month for Africa, where last year she built an orphanage for Masai girls.

And I'm looking for a soulmate.

Is that small-minded of me? Should I be aspiring to make a difference in the world instead of how to fill up my Saturday nights?

At some point during the meal, my lunch mate exclaimed how great it is to finally be focused on women.

I nodded in agreement, but what I was really thinking was: "Right, that's easy for you to to say. You're happily married."

Which definitely sounds sour grape-ish. But I'm not, at all. This woman is amazing and doing fantastic work. It was an honor to meet her. I'd like to be like her.

It's just that...I don't know. Maybe I need to get myself a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment