Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Negative Capability

How can it be? Already? Here I am, sitting by the phone waiting for a man to call me back. Granted, he's the man in charge of the celibacy support group, but still, the waiting place is all too familiar. I know I'm not alone. Everyone hates to wait. It's why the English poet, John Keats, championed Negative Capability - the ability to be in "uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason."

I try, but this morning I'm too jumpy inside, like I need to break through some kind of bond. I take a deep breath. It can't be personal, obviously. I've never met him or even talked with him. Still, my hair does need a good cut. And a color touchup wouldn't hurt. I have work I should do, but beauty calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment