Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Wishing World

I read a book last year about a woman who wished her way into a relationship. She'd go around all day imagining that the right Mr. Next would show up, and sure enough one day, there he was, out of the blue knocking on her door.

After reading her book, I did what she had done. I wrote on a slip of paper the type of partner I wanted to find, then folded it up into a little square and hid it under my mattress.

I guess in a way it worked. My ex did reappear last year after an hiatus of four months and everything reignited, wildly and passionately, until it didn't. With my logical side of my brain, I can identify many tangible reasons why it eventually sputtered out. But with my magical side of thinking, I wonder if the problem was that I wasn't specific enough with my wish.

Yes, I wrote what I wanted in a relationship - a man who is bold, generous, playful, spiritual, curious, political, who loves children and the outdoors. But what I forgot to put down was that I also wanted him to stick around. My bad, as my son used to say. In this world, as well as the wishing world, I guess you can't take anything for granted.

So I'll try again. And while I'm at it, I might as well throw in a couple of more things like... smiles a lot, passionate about his work, owns a house in the south of somewhere, and just to be on the safe side, that my son will also really like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment