Sunday, February 14, 2010

Two Cards - Date #5

I went on a first date with #5 last night, to a black tie fundraiser. For safety's sake, I'd taxied there on my own. He'd left my ticket out front, so I took myself into the ballroom, scouring the crowd for someone who resembled the photo I'd seen online.

It didn't take long to find him because of his shoulder-length hair, although in person he looked more like an undercover cop, than what he actually was - a social worker. The first thing he said was, "Here, this is for you." Then he handed me a red flower.

He was a very nice guy and we proceeded to have a very nice time, viewing the items in the silent auction, chatting with his colleagues. I looked like a million bucks in a tight, bright pink, sleeveless, satin dress that I'd borrowed from my friend Kimberly. A photographer even asked if he could take a photo of us together. But for all the pleasantries, all the niceness, for me at least, the magic just wasn't there.

With my ex it was there the moment I saw him, even though I'd been with my son. Even though, outfitted in two pairs of long underwear and a bulky down jacket, I had probably resembled a sausage.

We were meeting for breakfast, and while he talked about something or other, all I thought about was how much I liked the way he looked. Afterward, outside, I noticed the space between us, and how right it felt to be walking side-by-side.

Unfortunately, magic isn't everything. Eventually, after "mystically" coming together, we practically went our separate ways.

But last night, even before dinner was finished, I knew what was what. I told my date I had to get home. My son was staying on his own for the first time, and I knew he wouldn't go to sleep until I got back.

My date was a gentleman and insisted on driving me home. When we got to my house, I thanked him for the evening as well as the flower. He nodded, then handed me a tiny white envelope. There were two cards inside, he said. He wasn't sure which one to give me. So I should choose. And with that, he waved goodnight.

A short while later, after checking in on my son, I opened the envelope. The cards were the kind that come with flowers. At the top of one, embossed in gold, were the words, "With Deepest Sympathy." Beneath it, my date had hand-written, "At least there were drinks."

The other card was decorated with little colored circles. On it, he had written, "Happy Valentines Day." I looked at it for a long moment, then went to my cupboard, found a long, thin green vase, filled it with water and slipped the red flower he'd given me inside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment