Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mystery, Where Art Thou - Date #7

It's strange. I'm starting to notice a pattern to the men I meet on-line. Whether they're wealthy or out-of-work, a social worker or a top business exec, like Date #7 whom I got together with last night, they all share something in common: A need to know midway through our initial meeting whether I'm having a good time.

Men whom I've met naturally, or even those I've been fixed up with, never asked first time out whether I liked them. It was left unsaid. The uncertainty - will he call again? won't he - might have made me feel vulnerable or all hopped up, but it lent an air of mystery. It was part of the game. This way, I feel like I'm negotiating a deal.

Perhaps it just comes with the territory. In on-line dating, with thousands of people to choose from, everybody is so disposable. Time is money, after all. Are you in or are you out? Last night's date was just more direct about it than other had been. Plus he had a business dinner to get to. He had slotted me in for an hour and it was nearly over.

"So," he said, "do you think there's anything between us?"

I hesitated a moment, not sure how to respond.

"Well, do you," he repeated.

"I don't know," I said finally. "At least I don't feel like I need to get away from you. That's something, don't you think?"

I don't remember his answer, but it was complimentary. Then he asked for the check.

Will he call again? Probably. Do I want him too? I don't know, though if he asks me out again, my guess is I'll go. Do I sound all tepid and namby-pamby? Definitely. But what can I say. Maybe this is what happens when you take the drama out of dating and turn it into a consumer business.

1 comment: