Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Snore - Date #14

Confession time: I fell asleep. Yes, in the middle of my date with #14, I took a little snooze. We were at Symphony Hall, a mere 20 feet from the resounding brass section, hearing Mahler's Fifth. Even so, I somehow nodded off.

What can I say?

Years ago when I lived in Bangkok, a girlfriend of mine liked to throw dinner parties. Every time, halfway through the evening, she'd invariably shut her eyes and emit a little snore. The other guests and I would hardly give it a thought. Instead we carried on, having a grand old time as if our host were wide-awake. She was tired, and that was that. No one took it personally.

The other night at the symphony, however, my nap was positively personal. Date #14 was one of those wrapped up in himself kind of guys, who shared the greatest of details about himself - including which TV shows he TiVo's - without once asking a question of me.

In fact, from the moment we met, the space between us was so vast, so void of energy, so enervating, that in comparison my catnap probably sparked things up. If, that is, he even noticed, which I doubt.

A few days ago, I ran into the husband of the friend who'd fixed me up with #14. "What was she thinking?" the husband exclaimed. "You two have nothing in common."

"It was fine," I countered. "It was totally fine. And anyway, the symphony was spectacular." At least, that is, the part I heard.

2 comments:

  1. I dare not comment, however your blog seems more like an epic journey than a search. I thought to date you need to truly invest something. Like yourself!!!

    Maybe the people you’ve dated aren’t worth the investment. It’s funny but the whole concept of a date minimum seems like you’re going through the motions, which makes the process counter-intuitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you have to invest yourself. But I also think you need to be smart about whom you're investing in. A man who talks only about himself (and shows up late by 40 minutes) doesn't seem to me like the right "product," to continue the metaphor.

    As far as the two-date minimum rule, it's in place so I don't judge others too quickly. Sometimes it's hard to be yourself first go-around, while the second time around, who knows what might emerge.

    ReplyDelete