Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Humane Society

I did it. I didn't wimp out. I phoned Date #15 and explained in a kind but concise way that I didn't think we had a future together, not even short-term, like in a day.

Sure, I could have left his call unanswered, which I've been known to do. But my latest resolution is to be the kind of woman who speaks up. What to say was the only question.

My girlfriend Eustacia suggested I make it about me, like in: I'm just not ready to get involved again.

"But that's not true," I told her.

"Why make him feel badly? she said.

Since we'd only gone out twice, I couldn't imagine him feeling that badly. Still, I didn't want to lie. So I asked my son, who was reading Road and Track on the couch, for suggestions.

"I don't know," he answered.

"No, tell me what you'd say."

"I don't care. How about, 'no, I don't want to go out with you again?'"

"That's all?"

"Okay, no thank you. The girls I know, do it all the time."

"Do the boys feel badly?"

"Depends on the boy."

"You mean some boys don't?"

"Mom, let me read."

Fine, I said, then went into the next room, called Date #15, and trying to sound my sweetest said no thank you to going out again.

I think he said, 'okay,' but maybe not, because suddenly there was all this static sound followed by a strange beeping.

"Hello? Hello? Are you there?" I shouted. But he was already gone.

I felt terrible, but what could I do. Call him back? Wait to see if he phoned me? Or just face the facts: It's a cold, cruel world out there, and dating doesn't make it any easier.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished reading your blog and loved it! Have you ever considerd making a book from it? That could really work!

    ReplyDelete