Thursday, April 1, 2010

Indigestion - Almost Date #12

I met a man at Kinko's yesterday while vocalizing my surprise that I'd have to use a credit card to cover 22 cents worth of photocopies.

My incredulity must have been a tad, dare I say, loud, because out of the blue this man on the other side of the store offered to let me use his machine and pay him the quarter.

How could I refuse? Thanking him, I made my copies, then asked what he was xeroxing. He asked me the same. I answered. And soon enough, one thing led to another, and I learned he was a doctor, originally from out East, with a couple kids and an amiable ex-wife, and did I want to grab a cup of coffee?

Yes, I did. But I had to get to work. Could we make it for another time?

Which was when it happened - that look of confusion mixed with guilt, flashing across his face. Within seconds, he regained his composure and entered my number into his phone. But the deed was done. I'd discovered his secret: He was unavailable.

My guess is he already had a girlfriend. A cup of coffee on the fly would have been nothing more than just coffee. But what I was suggesting constituted a date. And he wasn't going there.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe at the moment I suggested we meet another day, he'd been hit by a blast of heartburn or indigestion and that accounted for his strange expression. But until I hear otherwise, I'm sticking with my gut. This guy is taken and good for him.

3 comments:

  1. What happened with Date #11??? You can leave us on the hook. Please do share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess, I've hemmed and hawed about seeing him again. But prompted by you...well, say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About your fear -- possible fear -- that kept you from taking the Kinko's guy up on his instant offer of coffee (not offer of instant coffee -- yuk!): Thomas Lynch, in his first book -- in the first essay in his first book -- writes (I'm paraphrasing), "To love is to grieve." Just like that. You take one, you take the other. There is no escape. Like life. If you live, you will die. If you love, you will grieve. To avoid death, you must avoid life; to avoid grief, you must avoid love. I think it's really smart of us to try to avoid that kind of pain! Unfortunately, the cost is kind of high . . . .

    ReplyDelete